Sunday, September 29, 2013

For Roberta and her Family.


Update 9/30/13

Team Roberta Krause Smith, now walks in memory of Roberta.  My, how time has flown.  A follow up post will follow. For now, please show your support for Roberta's family.  She was taken too soon by cancer.  Why haven't we cured this yet?  Follow the links at the bottom to donate to the 2013 team who walked in Roberta's memory for those still fighting.



Originally posted 9/2/10.

In 1994, I moved to La Crosse, Wisconsin from Southern California. Being a California native, let's just say I'm lucky I didn't die of hypothermia. I survived Wisconsin and fell in love with it thanks to the Krause Family. Roger and Luanne, their children Christie, Leora, Roberta and Carl. I met Carl while I was in the Navy and I moved to Wisconsin with him so we could both attend nursing school at Viterbo College (now University). The Krause Family of West Salem made me feel welcome, even at my bitchiest. I was no picnic to live with. We started out at Roger and Luanne’s and eventually, Roberta, who lived alone at the time, was nice enough to let me be her roommate. Again, I was no picnic. I was newly diagnosed with Scleroderma, in a lot of pain and very hard to live with, yet Roberta still made me feel welcome. We folded laundry on her couch and she taught me how to make a great seafood Alfredo my son absolutely loves. The Krause Family continued to invite me over to holidays and make me feel welcome, even after Carl and I broke up. They made me feel like I had a family 2000 miles from home. (On a side note, Carl’s a great guy, but when you have two Scorpios together, it's the equivalent combining gasoline and a blowtorch- that and I was such a bitch!) I'm very grateful to all of them. They showed me just how great Wisconsin is. They taught me golf, football, introduced me lutefisk, how yummy hotdish is and about how important it is to wave to my neighbors. I will never forget their hospitality and I'm very grateful for getting the opportunity to know them. I'm very grateful to their son, Carl for telling me about La Crosse and sharing his family with me.

I haven't seen the Krause Family since 1999 after I moved back to California. I recently found Leora and Roberta on Facebook and have kept in touch with them through wall postings and picture sharing. They have also been very generous contributors to the Scleroderma Foundation and have sponsored me and my son on our walks since we have regained contact.

In 2008, Roberta and her mom Luanne were both diagnosed with breast cancer. Luanne is done with her treatment and doing well. Roberta has not been so lucky. The cancer has metastasized and moved into her bones, called Metastatic Breast Cancer. This is often not diagnosed until stage IV. Metastatic cancer is often considered incurable, but there are many survivors.

Roberta has the support of her family and friends but she is in the fight of her life. This blog isn't just about Scleroderma and Sarcoidosis, it's about being human. All diseases are bad. If one disease comes closer to a cure or treatment, the research and information has a ripple effect that will help the research of others. No matter how small, progress is progress.

Everyone knows someone who has been touched by cancer. Help Roberta and her team exceed their goal of $300.00. Sponsor Roberta for the Steppin' Out in Pink Walk, Saturday, September 11. Pitch in what you can. Every donation makes a difference. If 20 people donate $5.00 each, that’s $100.00. Every dollar counts.


Thank you for taking the time to read about a family who really made a difference in my life. Thank you in advance for making a generous donation to fund research, patient support, effective treatment and one day a cure for one more horrible disease.

Team Roberta Krause Smith Donation Page
More about Metastatic Breast Cancer
A Survivor's Story
METS Matters Blog
Gunderson Lutheran Medical Foundation
Join Steppin Out In Pink on Face Book
Speak to a Survivor: 1-866-891-2392

No comments:

Post a Comment